A blog about spending wisely in your twenties, with advice on everything from cooking to saving money on gas; how to teach yourself to save money instead of spending it, traveling without breaking the bank, and much more.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The No-Groceries Experiment Update #2

I've still yet to buy proper groceries this month, though I have purchased these items from the grocery store: a pint of ice cream (bought instead of buying cones at a store), a muffin and a cheese stick ($1.32 breakfast instead of eating out), and some burgers/hot dogs + buns and beer for a barbeque. My day to day meals continue to be made from my pantry. Since my last update I've eaten:

Vegetarian Chili
Lentil Soup
Ginger Snaps
Burritos (with Pinto Beans and Rice w/ Cilantro)
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Ginger Snaps
Coffee
Iced Tea
Lemonade (made from real lemons! In California, the law is that if a tree's fruit is hanging over public space, you can pick some. I wouldn't make a habit of harvesting sidewalk lemons, but homemade lemonade is tasty!)
+burgers at work.

Today I've got garbanzo bean stew cooking in the crockpot (a tasty stew whose leftovers can be turned into almost-falafel), I'll be baking a batch of pumpkin muffins using pumpkin pulp leftover from Thanksgiving (yay for freezers), and dinner will probably be pasta with lentil-tomato sauce.

I'm beginning to put together a Master List of just what I need to buy in order to eat well. Obviously, not everyone will be content with legume soup/stew in the quantities I eat it in, but having been raised quasi-vegetarian it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I much prefer tons of homemade stews and soups to anything made from a package. I definitely feel as if I'm eating healthier this month, my "meals" at work notwithstanding.

More and more I'm looking forward to writing my analysis of this whole experiment in a week or two. Before the massive shopping trip I'll need to do at the beginning of May, I'll be putting together a price book in order to be certain I'm getting the best deals possible, but more on that in another post.

No comments: